We encourage our clients to seek out additional information about their pet’s diagnosed conditions. As there is a wealth of information available on the internet, we have provided some reliable and trusted veterinary website links.
GENERAL PET INFORMATION
- Veterinary Partner www.veterinarypartner.com Part of the Veterinary Information Network accessible by clients and is a very good reference site.
- Pet Health Network. Information on dogs and cats.
- Winn Foundation – This foundation is dedicated to improving feline health on several fronts. This site is a good source of information on current feline health issues.
- Companion animal care and wellness by Ohio State University at indoorpet.osu.edu
- For dog lovers from Dogster (Dog Fancy) Magazine dogster.com
- For cat lovers from Catster (Cat Fancy) Magazine catster.com
- PetFoodology – this is an excellent, informative site managed by the Clinical Nutrition Service at Tufts University Veterinary Medical Center. Topics range from food selection for your new puppy to tube feeding and critical care in geriatrics. Also check out The Best Food For Your Pet from Tufts nutritionists.
- If you are interested in home cooking your pets meals, we highly recommend BalanceIt.com – a site with homemade pet food recipes that are screened by veterinary nutritionists.
- Is your dog or cat looking fit or fat? Professionals use a Body Condition Score to help determine if a pet is at their ideal weight. Check the Body Condition Chart for DOGS and CATS here.
- These days 56% of dogs and 60% of cats are overweight or obese. The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention has weight loss tools that can help.
- Update on Grain Free Diets – they sound appealing, but may not be healthy for every pet. We are keeping up to date on the current research surrounding this complicated issue.
A variety of links, videos and tutorials can be found on our Behavior Resources Page!
- Follow this link to the American Animal Hospital Association list of common pet toxins.
- We often get questions regarding pet safe house plants. This will direct you to a list of many resources for plants and other poisons.
- These web sites are very informative about potential toxins, house plants and pet safety.For pet poisonings, please call us first before poison control as we are familliar with many common poisons. If possible have the container at hand. If needed we will direct you to poison control.
SPECIFIC DISEASE INFORMATION
- Washington State University has a great website with a library of information on different disease conditions, procedures, and common medical problems. Link
- Is your dog at risk for Leptospirosis? Read more at leptoinfo.com
- Is your dog at risk for Lyme Disease? Read more at lymeinfo.com
- Heart Disease overview for Dogs (yourdogsheart.com ) and Cats (Feline Heart Disease)
- Information on Diabetes Mellitus and insulin injections and monitoring.
- Diseases of the skin – courtesy of McKeever Dermatology
- Dog Breeds A-Z www.akc.org/breeds/breeds_a.cfm
- Animal Planet has an interesting breed selector tool. It is fun to use and see what breed it selects as being right for you based on answers to ten questions…….but I would still do my own breed research. https://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html
- Looking to Adopt a Pet? Are you looking for a Lost Pet? You can do both at PetFinder.com. This website is updated daily.
- Growing Up With Pets – How to help parents foster strong, healthy relationships between their children and their pets.
PET LOSS INFORMATION
- When is it time to say goodbye? Lap of Love is an in-home veterinary hospice and euthanasia service. At this time they only reach larger metro areas, but their website is a wonderful resource for questions about Quality of Life and end-of life decisions.
- Tufts University offers a Grief Support Hotline and articles regarding the loss of a pet.
- The Ohio State University – Honoring the Bond. Ohio State has a very detailed and helpful Quality of Life scoring chart. This can help clarify end of life decisions and shed light on signs of decline that may not be easily apparent.
- Old World Stones Custom engrave river stone pet memorials
- Custom paintings from photos of your pet. By local artist Malia Wiley paintingsbymalia.com
- Urns available when you arrange to have your pet cremated can be view at this [link]
- Rainbow bridge [link]
HUMANE SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONS
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – The ASPCA exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain and suffering in animals.
- The Humane Society of the United States promotes the protection of all animals.
- Delta Society/Pet Partners – Therapy Dogs and the Human/Animal Health Connection.
- Blue Earth Nicollet County Humane Society (BENCHS) https://www.benchs.org/ or find them on Facebook
- Stray/Found Pet Options: If you have found a stray dog or cat in the Mankato area, or surrounding counties and municipalities, this Impound Resources page can tell you who to call based on the location where the pet was found.