POISONS – RODENTICIDE
The use of rodenticides (mouse poisons) increases in the fall and winter as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets—if ingested, the results could be fatal. We don’t recommend the use of these products; if they must be used, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets. If you see your dog ingesting mouse poison, call your vet or the poison control helpline immediately, and have the packaging available to tell the staff.
BACK TO SCHOOL
It’s back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on fun items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. These items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, which means they’re unlikely to cause serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, since gastrointestinal upset and blockages certainly are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw’s reach.
Fall is still mushroom season! Only a small percentage of wild mushrooms are highly toxic and can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Unfortunately, most of the highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets from ingesting poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms are growing. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.
Antifreeze spills or leakage from radiators should be cleaned up immediately. Pets looking for water will be apt to drink it if thirsty enough. If ingested it is highly toxic and may be lethal to pets.